Friday, February 27, 2015

The Love Letter


Who knew the power of words would be so, powerful? I remember as a young teenager, I was in love with a girl. The love we shared was new for the both of us, and at the time we didn't live close to each other. In reality, we lived about 30 miles and a 30 minute drive from each other. Needless to say, we felt as teenagers in the early 80's that we lived days away from each other. We were together on Sundays for church, and even then it was only for a few hours. We weren't very happy about it back then, but the only way we could communicate if we weren't burning up our parents phone line was through the love letters we wrote each other every week. We wrote each other in high school, in college, even when I moved to Orlando and she stayed in Chicago. Those letters were life to us. Words written or spoken are powerful, and whether they are the right words or the wrong words, they tend to stay with you for a lifetime. 

I asked a question on my Facebook page: "Can receiving a love letter move you today, like it moved you back in the day?" Overwhelmingly, people said YES! I didn't have one person argue against it, and I believe it's because we ALL need words of affirmation today in order to survive the world we live in. Then I decided that I needed to write one again, just like the teenager that I was back in the day, but with all the grown-up swagger I've obtained some 30 plus years later. She just might read it from me one day, but until then, I thought I'd write one to you. A letter you could read to yourself in case of an emotional emergency. Lord knows that I've had a few of those, and I was longing for words to resuscitate me. You never know when you might need to read it, but I hope it will help you reading it, just like it helped me writing it... 


I had no idea I’d be running into you today, but now that I have, I think that you should know something. I’ve been thinking a lot about you, and how truly amazing you are.

I know that sometimes it can feel like you’re just plugging away at life, and there are endless obstacles and challenges and things that you have to deal with. It’s like you’re playing whack-a-mole, but with your life. I just wanted to let you know that I see you. I see all that you put out into the world. I see the struggles that you go through, the people that you help, and the way that you show up in the world…and I applaud it. I applaud every last ounce of you. Even the big, scary, messy bits that you’re not sure people would love if they found out about it.

You are a true gem of a human being and I couldn’t be more impressed by you. You have a gigantic heart, endless patience for people (even when they try to test that patience), and you are SO kind to SO many people in SO many different ways. I know that it isn’t easy being you in a lot of ways, but you do an admirable job of it. If there’s anyone in the world who is massively deserving of love and belonging, it’s you.

I hope that there’s someone in your life that you can be with and have them hold you for a few minutes. Maybe they can kiss you on the forehead, or run their fingers through your hair, or do that thing that you like. But if you don’t, I hope that these words have done something similar for you, because I meant every single last one of them. You are loved, by me…


I am learning to use my words for good, and not evil. The power of speaking a positive word in someone's life can do wonders for their emotional state. One day the words I give out so freely will be used by someone to speak to me, but until then, let these words speak to you...



No comments: