Monday, April 1, 2013

What To Do With Your Newly Single Self

When I have been in a relationship for any extended period of time, I have felt quite lost when it has come to an end. Maybe it is because I have let too much of me go to be in the relationship, or maybe we all have to compromise a little something to stay with someone, or maybe it is a combination of both. I usually have this feeling of being a coiled spring that has been pushed all the way down, then being let loose. And like at the end of my last break-up, all of a sudden I was sprung free to be me! How incredibly awesome that felt to be catapulted back to life! Except for being left with the very brief quandary of wondering who am I again, and what do I like and not like to do, it took a while for the dust to settle but I was determined to find me again.

I thought that I would put together some interests for everyone to see what they'd like and don’t like to do, so you can get motivated to find yourselves and remember that you do have a self buried in there somewhere. I would love to know ideas of activities and interests, if you know of any, to be added to this list as well. We should date ourselves first and fill up our own lives, because who knows when Mr. or Ms. Right is going to suddenly appear. When it happens, we won’t have as much free time, so we best get cracking and make the most of our lives right now! This list is far from exhaustive, and many of these interests are bound to have clubs attached to them if you are game to join. I have tried to also include activities that are of little or no cost. Depending upon the country that you are in, there are online social clubs out there with an enormously diverse range of activities organized by its members. These are not dating clubs, they are people like you and I who like to be out and about doing things and meeting new people.

Traveling, join a health club, learn how to ride a motorcycle, play golf, play tennis, learn how to bowl, cooking classes, ceramics, painting, dancing lessons, movie clubs, book clubs, dog walking, basketball, photography, hiking, biking, skydiving, volunteer service projects, political action groups, 4 wheel riding, home repair, automotive repair, and the list goes on and on...

I stumbled across one of these clubs when I was six months separated from my last wife, and since then, I have never looked back. Some of these groups are reasonably cheap, but please remember that these are clubs.You will meet people from every walk of life and every personality, so leave your judgement at home and go with an attitude of meeting new and interesting people that you would never normally have the chance to meet. You are all there to have fun and bond over common interests and activities. If you make friends along the way like I have, then even better! A word of caution, please think long and hard about dating anyone within these clubs. This is your safe place to go when you are by yourself, so be very careful about creating complications there. Instead of staying home and feeling lost and sorry for yourself, start getting on with your new life. You may not have too long to wait before you are back in a relationship again, so cherish every moment of your singlehood...

No comments: