Friday, May 9, 2014

The Five Lessons in "Flirtology"

I must admit that I have never quite perfected the art of flirting. It doesn't stop me from trying occasionally, but sometimes I don't know if I'm doing anything right. You would think that the act comes naturally but this is not necessarily so. It seems my direct style of communication does not lend itself to the subtleties of flirting. Flirting was originally intended to be part of the dating ritual. In dating, flirtation was used to communicate attraction without breaching social norms. When used as originally intended the dance is quite innocent. Mainly because all parties understood and agreed on the meaning and outcome.

Today, flirtatious exchanges have taken on new meaning where often one of the involved parties is confused about the intended results. After all, it is the recipient of the flirtation who is the true judge of how innocent the action is. Often times the "flirter" (initiator) has a hidden agenda that leaves the "flirtee" (recipient) confused. We no longer live in an age where there are universal standards for social behaviors. As a result, flirtation ranges from vague to insulting, and no one seems to question intentions because it falls under the guise of innocence. Lets take a look at a few approaches to flirtation, and then you deduce if you think innocence applies...
 
1. I’ve Still Got It - In this approach, the flirter doesn’t have any interest in the flirtee beyond the exchange. They are simply engaging in an exercise of self validation to see if they still have ‘game’. The danger is when this behavior is bestowed on a flirtee that is either lonely or unstable, they may become confused about the flirters intentions. This mix could lead to an outpouring of unwanted emotions like, "he said he would call but he hasn’t, now I’m really pissed!"

2. Testing the Waters -This approach is most often utilized as a means for the flirter to gauge their chances for success. It reduces the chances of rejection. The danger to this approach is that it sends mixed signals to the flirtee. Since the exchange does not lead to commitment one way or the other, it creates a gray area that breeds insecurity like, "Do they like me or are they just playing with me?"

3. Genuine Romantic Interest- When a flirter takes this approach, they're often looking for a way to get a foot in the door. The danger here is that most people don’t take flirting seriously, so these exchanges must be followed by some definitive action. For example, "She offered to meet me for drinks, at least now I know for sure she’s interested."

4. Flattery - I think this is the only innocent action on the list. The flirter is simply conveying an appreciation for the flirtee. Since the flirtee is the party that receives the most validation, there is little risk of being mislead, especially if the flirter begins and ends the exchange with the one compliment. "Wow, that compliment really made my day! What a nice guy."

5. Gimme Gimme - This one is usually employed for personal gain. Better jobs, free services, special treatment, etc. The danger here is when the flirtee realizes that the flirter is not sincere, there is no predicting the reaction. Additionally there is just a tone of opportunistic behavior that speaks to one’s character. "I can’t believe she was such a gold digger" or "He only wants one thing from me."

So how innocent is flirting? In my opinion not very innocent at all when utilized for ill gains, in many instances it is down right self serving. Then again, since I don't know how to flirt right, I just might have the wrong perspective...

No comments: