Monday, September 22, 2014

The Challenge of Being Kind

“Little things seem nothing, but they give peace, like those meadow flowers, which individually seem odorless but altogether perfume the air” – George Bernanos

Last week, I went to eat and watch the football game at a local sports bar. I was fortunate enough to receive service from what proved to be the greatest waitress I’ve ever come across. I was in the midst of a really bad day, and she was the perfect antidote. She must've seen the tensity in my shoulders, the sadness hiding behind my smile, and the uneasiness in my speech. When the game was close to being over, I paid for my food, left a tip, and wrote a note letting her know that her presence was felt and that she brightened what was left of my day.

Yesterday while dining at the same bar, she walked over to my table, hugged me and let me know that she appreciated my note and it lifted her spirit that night because she too was dealing with some things that had her in a less than stellar mood. I was happy to know that I was able to reciprocate the energy last night. Oftentimes, we ignore the small things by giving all of our praise to the big things, as if the big things itself isn’t the sum total of all its small parts. I challenge you this week to make it a priority to do something small for someone.It doesn't have to be recognized by everyone, it may not even be acknowledged by the one you extend the kindness to. If anything, it is designed to make YOU feel better even if it does nothing for the other person. 

Use my experience as a teachable moment for your relationship: Doing a small, kind gesture per day could possibly be used to keep away the drama that oftentimes creep into our relationships. In relationships, we tend to take the other person for granted just because they aren't going anywhere. I believe that if they have proven to you they aren't going anywhere, you should all the more intensify the kindness towards them.

In the words of the late great Maya Angelou: "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel".

facebook.com/RelationshipLessons
twitter.com/RShipLessons 

No comments: