Monday, December 8, 2014

The Moment of Truth

Hello everyone! Before I begin today's blog, I wanted to appeal to all of the relationshippers around the world who follow me every week to go to Twitter and follow @Soul_TherapyUBM this week! You can find me every Sunday morning on Soul Therapy with Lisa J at 11am CST on urbanbroadcastmedia.com. Trust me when I tell you that what happens on the blog is definitely happening on the radio, so follow us today! 
Now, on with the blog...


Female Friend: Hey D.
Me: What’s up?
FF: Not much. What are you getting your boo for Christmas?
Me: Nothing.
FF: Oh my God! Are you guys okay?
Me: Yeah, we're just bypassing the holiday stress.
FF: Sorry to hear. This is supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year!
Me: We’re not fighting or angry with each other.
FF: Don’t worry. It’ll get better.
Me: Our friendship won’t get better if you keep this up.
**awkward silence**

During any holiday season when I have a boo, I go through this. Come to think of it, when I don’t have a boo I still go through this. The scenario above was a conversation I had with a female friend of mine, and it drove me nuts. What the heck is the big deal about Christmas? I’m not a kid anymore! Some of us here love giving gifts and seeing the reaction on the recipient’s face. Others here have children and want to make sure the kids don’t grow up weird or hostile toward the other kids that would have a happy holiday. Some of us actually think we’re celebrating the birth of the Sweet Baby Jesus.

Anyway, as you can probably tell, I’m not a big fan of this time of year. Aside from getting a few days off from work, it doesn’t really do anything for me. I’m sure there are a good number of you out there as well who feel the same way. And if this is supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year, why does everybody in the mall or in the mall’s parking lot look SO stressed? I know that for many of the men I see, the stress is because they’re trying to conquer one of the many “moments of truth” of relationships. What exactly are the other “moments of truth” you ask? Oh, that’s easy. I’m talking about birthdays, anniversaries, and Valentine’s Day. These are the special days that we’re supposed to remember, and cook up some thoughtful and/or costly gift that tells the other person where exactly they rank in our lives.

Contrary to the tone of this post, I’m really not bitter or angry. I just feel like this gift-giving or acts of kindness thing should be done all the time. Visiting and spending time with family should be more than two or three times a year, unless you’re eating up the cost of a $400 plane ticket for every trek you make and your pay doesn’t support such feats. Maybe we should change the name of these “moment of truths” to "Make Up Day 1, 2, and 3". Why? Because if we shine on these days, it can make us feel better about all the things we didn’t do the other 362 days of the year.

What are your thoughts on the holiday season and the other typical special days? 
How much do they matter to you?
Do Moment of Truth days exist?
How much have they mattered to the significant other?
Have you found yourself changing your feelings about these days over the years?
Let me know…

facebook.com/RelationshipLessons
twitter.com/RShipLessons

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ummmm, I really don't want him waiting til the holidays to show his love for me. Small gifts throughout the year work for me. This let's me know 2 things no matter how big or small the gifts; 1: I'm on your mind and 2: I'm on your mind. The rest of that foolishness doesn't matter to me.

Delvin Randle said...

The goal is to be "that guy" throughout the year, and not put all of his eggs in one "moment of truth" basket. Thanks for reading and commenting!